Coaching is about guiding people to self-discovery and self-resolution. To do that, you have to get comfortable asking questions, and allowing them to think, reflect, and respond. Here are some sample questions to help you navigate the journey!
Tests reality, accuracy, agreement, or your understanding:
- Is that the case? / is that correct?
- Are you still interested in doing xzy?
Root Cause Questions
- What made you choose A versus B? / to do that? / to go that route?
Skills Assessment Questions
- What is your understanding of how we do xyz? / What are the steps of doing xyz?
- Why is it important to do xyz?
- What is the benefit to YOUR PEERS/CUSTOMER/TEAM/BOSS/COMPANY when we do xzy?
- What value could you get out of doing xyz?
- What is a potential consequence of doing xyz / not doing xzy?
- What happens if we do / don’t do xyz?
- What are some of the outcomes we might see as a result of doing / not doing xyz?
- How would you feel if you were in this situation?
- How do you think that could impact YOUR PEERS/ CUSTOMER/BOSS/TEAM/COMPANY?
- What could you do differently next time? / What else might work in that situation?
- How else could you handle that? / What’s another way you could approach that?
Will you try it? / Will you do it? / Next time you’re in that situation, can you agree to do [solution]?